Daifuku: Japanese Traditional Sweet

Charly Brown
0





  • Daifuku is a small round mochi with a sweet filling.
  • It's a superb feel-good sweet,  not something you’ll see for very often outside Japan.
  • The yummy deliciousness of Daifuku is accessible to home cooks everywhere with the recipe below .
  • The amazing taste of this dessert will keep everyone coming back for more.


Story and Recipe by Kanami Yukimura

Daifuku recipe was given to me by my sisters. When I make mochi, I always use the ingredients that I have on hand. The strength and elegance of the flavor is definitely enjoyable. The first time I tried their recipe, I quickly changed some of the ingredients and experimented with flavors. But, it was unsuccessful, my sisters told me that I had made the recipe all wrong. Maybe I was just trying too hard or I was being overly ambitious, but I can never make a bad daifuku with my lovely sisters recipe and neither can you. It's so delicious that I often make Daifuku a second time, because it disappears from my kitchen almost immediately.

There are all kinds of flavors that depend on the variety of rice and flavorings used, and because they don't contain any artificial colors or flavorings, it can be prepared in so many different ways, which means you can whip it up any way you want after you mastered the basics.

The basis for this recipe follows the Japanese tradition that food should be prepared in a peaceful manner to create a 'comfort zone' for you which will contribute to a relaxing experience.

Recipe

Ingredients

1 Cup Mochiko or Shiratamako (Sweet Rice Flour) 
3/4 Cup Water 
1/2 Cup Sugar
Potato Starch (Katakuriko) or Cornstarch
Anko Bean Paste

Directions:
The sugar has to be mixed with water first. Add it to the rice flour little by little and blend together, cover the bowl with a cling film, then put it in a microwave oven.

In the microwave, heat for 2 minutes. Mix the dough with a wooden or silicon spatula. Repeat the process until you get a smooth consistency.

Sprinkle some starch powder on a surface to flatten the dough with a rolling pin. With a round cookie cutter, cut round pieces and wrap the bean paste with the dough, sealing by pinching the borders together.

Pro tips:
Make sure that not too much water is added or the dough will not come together.
If the dough becomes too hard add a little bit of water to loosen it up.
Put an additional 1 minute in the microwave if you don’t get the desired consistency. 

Post a Comment

0Comments
* Please Don't Spam Here. All the Comments are Reviewed by Admin.

Please Select Embedded Mode To show the Comment System.*

#buttons=(Accept !) #days=(20)

Our website uses cookies to enhance your experience. Learn More
Accept !
To Top